Parish History

This parish history is taken from the 2000 Church Directory

St. Peter's Catholic Church

The small town of Morrow, Louisiana, was founded in 1859 by Mr. Ednis Ernest Morrow and wife (Elodie Goudeau Morrow). The Morrows, who were devout Catholics, donated the present day property for the establishment of St. Peter's Catholic Church and cemetery. The property originally housed several small buildings, one of which was a small unpainted wooden building used for the church. Priests from the surrounding areas would hold Mass on Sunday (or whenever the trip was possible). The first priest to live on-site was Fr. Francis L. Bernier in 1947.

A new painted wood church was built (date unknown). The church, however, burned down and a cinder block building replaced the wooden structure shortly thereafter. Mass was said in a small wooden structure that was located on site across the street from the current church until the cinder block church was built. The cinder block church was used for one decade before the present day church and rectory were built in the early 1970's. Fr. Austin Leger was the presiding priest at the time.

Church of the Resurrection

The Church of the Resurrection was originally situated in Dubison, Louisiana. It is noted that some of the graves in the Dubison cemetery date back to the late 1700's.

The small historic building with its original wood frame and hard-wood floors was moved from Dubison to its present day site in Whiteville in 1896. The Whiteville church property was donated by Mr. and Mrs. J. P. Savant, and the cemetery was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Campbell.

St. Catherine's at Rosa (now cemetery only)

We would like to add information about St. Catherine's at Rosa. Anybody who has history of St. Catherine's to share, please contact Mary at 318-346-4930 after 8 PM. Thank you.